The first thing that really bothered me about our experience is that it felt extremely rushed. We brought so many outfits for Kellen because we weren't sure which colors would work best for Kellen's coloring or which outfits would work best with what Aaron and I were wearing. I figured that since these people were professionals, they could look at our selection and tell us what to choose. The only help we got was some from some chic at the check-in counter, who looked at all of the clothes for 5 seconds and pulled out 2 outfits. I didn't even realize that the striped outfit Kellen was wearing would make the strawberry blond in his hair look bright orange, and I'm sure if the photographer or the lady at the check-in counter would've thought about it, they would've told us to put a different outfit on him. Not that I have a huge problem with the way the pictures with this outfit turned out, I just think they could have chosen something that would've highlighted his bright blue eyes or porcelain skin instead of orange-y hair. Also, the check-in lady pulled out blue pants for him to wear with his long-sleeved onesie without realizing (or caring??) that the sweater I had on had black stripes. Grrr.
The second problem was the pricing - I chose JCP because I thought their prices were competitive and I had a coupon that I wanted to use. I was wrong. When we showed her the coupon after the session, she kind of scoffed and made us feel like idiots for only wanting that many photos. She then proceeded to go through all of the expensive options and pretty much pressured us into buying this whole deal w/ a 2-year member's club, tons of portraits, greeting cards and the disc. I went into it thinking that we'd at most just buy the disc and make copies somewhere else. Aaron caved and went with the whole deal after finding out that the disc alone cost $150. Are you fricken kidding me? You took a total of like 20 pictures and you're going to charge $150 for a disc???!!!
Lastly, some of the photos look like my 4 year old niece took them (I did not post them on here because they were not blog-worthy); I would expect more from someone who has been doing this job for years. Clearly, my not-so-nice experience was not just the fault of the photographer, but also a JCP-wide issue. I'm assuming the photographers don't get paid well and have back-to-back appointments all day this time of year. Still, I expected more and I will be sure to seek out another place for our next experience.
Okay, so here are the pictures I like. Isn't my little man just the cutest thing this side of the Mississippi?!?
I like this family photo because it shows how happy our little man is. I do not like the placement of my hands though. I wish the photographer would've told me to tuck my hands behind Kellen, sort of like Aaron did. I know, I'm nit picky...
Kellen is so happy and it's so easy to make him smile! His smile melts my heart every time!!!
I think Kellen looks adorable in this picture! I, on the other hand, don't look so hot. Notice the navy blue pants against the black stripes on my sweater...




First of all, I can appreciate your pain with dealing with photographers and how expensive they are. It is pretty outrageous what they charge, and you'd think they'd make more of an effort to share their professional knowledge with their subjects. It's too bad.
ReplyDeleteBut more importantly, it looks like you have some really great photos, and while it might be painful to think about money or quantity, you have some BEAUTIFUL pictures! And they'll be amazing to look back on in years to come. Suzi, you look so gorgeous! I love love your hair - can you teach me how to do that soft curl?? And I honestly did not notice any of the things you pointed out as not liking. Even after you pointed it out, your hand touching Kellen looks totally natural and motherly, and slightly off-centered photos aren't bad (we have tons from the wedding)...but you could always crop the photo to make it more centered. Seriously, beautiful pics, that boy of yours is such a smiley little bug!
And now you know not to go back to JCP. ;)
I totally agree with Lisa - I think you got some awesome pictures (and there is no such thing as a perfect picture, that is what makes them so awesome)!! We alway took Colton to Pro-ex when he was little! They were very patient with him (and me) and their prices are so reasonable.
ReplyDeleteOne more thing - the pricing is outrageous! At Pro-ex if you spend $50 you get all the proofs on a CD for $10. Seriously, if you do pictures again give them a shot - I was very happy with them everytime and at least if you don't like teh pictures you aren't out quite so much money. We went to Sears once and I will NEVER return there either, the photographer was horrible and the prices were way too high for the way the pictures turned out.
ReplyDeleteI totally understand how frustrating it is to be unhappy with a photographer...ie my wedding photographer...HORRIBLE! The pictures you do have are beautiful though! I didn't even notice the blue pants with the black in your sweater. Don't go to Glamour Shots...they were nice, but expensive! I don't think I ever posted our family pic we took with Isla when she was 4 months. I wasn't thrilled with it...they were from Lifetouch. Our next family pic will be with a photographer coming to our house. Good to know about JCP though. I had considered them for Isla's 1 year.
ReplyDeleteOh yeah, and I also LOVE your hair. If you give Lisa a lesson, I want to be there too :)
Sucks when you feel a bit suckered into spending money on stuff you're not that happy about.
ReplyDeleteIf it's any consolation, you guys all three of you look beautiful in those pictures. And really, that's what matters the most. But ergh. Just pisses me off for you that the experience was not good. I'm sorry.
And yeah, those prices sound crazy to me too. The only time we got family pictures done was last year, when Gus was like 4 months old, and we paid $250 for a CD with all the proofs from our session with a professional photographer, that came to us and spent about 2 hours getting to know us and taking photos. And she took like 400 picutures or something ridiculous. So yeah. Expensive, but we knew it going in and thought it was worth it.
So sorry Suzi! I know Liz has used this studio in Woodbury before that was like SUPER reasonable and really really good. I was thinking I'd call her for a referral the next time we got our act together for some prof. photos. :)
Oh, and I love Aaron's beard!
ReplyDelete