Friday, July 2, 2010

Can't think of a good title

I obviously haven't been sticking to my promise to update my blog every month, even though I clearly have the time now that I'm home for the summer. But every time I log on and think about adding a new post, I get really overwhelmed and tell myself I'll do it next time! Well "next time" is here and I might as well do it since I'm not really doing anything else of importance!

I've officially been on summer break for approximately 3 weeks. I've surprisingly gotten a lot done and I'm very impressed with my motivation! The house is clean (mostly) on a regular basis, except for the stuff I "can't" do, such as scrub sinks w/ nasty chemicals and haul a vacuum up and down the stairs. I also can't mow the lawn because we have a push mower, which really pisses me off because I'd be mowing a couple times a week if I could, but Aaron usually only does it once a week because he doesn't have as much time as I do. So, I have to put up with the grass being a little longer than I'd like. I do, however, weed whip and keep up the little garden on the side of our house. I have a daily "to-do" list and this really makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something even though I'm not really doing much. I will be a little bit more busy next week though, as I start summer school 2 days a week. I think I'll actually enjoy it because I will be able to have some human contact and conversation! Posted on the computer right now are "Driveway, Fence, and Window." These are Aaron's job and I'm really rooting for him to get them done before baby comes. He's already fixed the dip in the driveway (from the driveway to the garage there used to be a 4" dip and it was really obnoxious). Now all he has to do is put some tar in the cracks and then repave it w/ some stuff from Menards. This weekend, Aaron and his step-dad, Jon, are replacing the upstairs window in our livingroom. They replaced the sliding door last fall and did a great job, but with this window they'll have to use 2 levels of scaffolding which makes me nervous. Lastly, we are planning on closing off our fence in the backyard. Most of the backyard is already fenced in because of our neighbor's fences, but we just have to close them off into our house. I clearly don't know how to do this and Aaron is trying to get his dad to help him out. I have a feeling not all of these jobs will get done because there really isn't enough time to do them, so I have a feeling that the fence will have to wait until next spring. Thankfully, we have a scaredy-cat dog who wouldn't think of leaving the yard...so it can wait.

In the past 3 weeks, I've gotten a lot of baby artwork done...5 pieces to be exact (2 large, 3 small). I can't wait to have the nursery complete. I'm pretty much waiting on 3 things before I post some pictures: the glider (which we found, we just need to find a way to get it from Babies-R-Us to our house as we don't have a truck to haul it in), the curtains (which my mom is so graciously making for us), and the rug, which my aunt Patti is making for us. Otherwise, we just need to put up our artwork, do a tad-bit of organizing, and its done. We're also taking off the closet doors because I'm feeling like it'll be a little cramped in there with those. So what I'm planning on doing is just buying a curtain rod and white curtains. When I want them open, I'll just tie them in a bow to the side of the closet, and if the closet is messy, I'll just leave them closed!

I had sooooo much fun at my baby shower last weekend! Alicia and Lisa did an AMAZING job and I couldn't have imagined a better baby shower. I truly felt so loved and it made me even more excited for baby Pierce to come!! Its times like these (wow, cliche) that make me realize how important my friends are, and the shower made me realize how much I really miss my friends who don't live here. I think a quarter of my invitee list live more than a reasonable drive away (Betsy in Chicago, Jenny in New Jersey, Adrienne in Charlston, and Abby in Miami...and she will soon be moving to CA). What is up w/ all the homies leaving MN?? I'm so thankful that I still have so many friends that remain in the MN area and I hope no one else plans on moving away (did you hear that everyone?)!

I've also been a little sad lately because I've been missing talking to my sister Julie. At first I questioned my decision to confront her about all of the pushy and degrating advice; but the more I think about it, I'm glad I did it because I know that if I hadn't, I'd be getting weekly emails or comments on my facebook about how I'm not doing things the way she thinks I should. And, I'm sure it would've gotten worse once baby Pierce actually arrives - probably about how I breast feed, not using cloth diapers, what kind of laundry detergent I use, etc. I have a feeling we'd be fine and would still be talking if it weren't for her crazy, controlling husband, but he insisted on stepping in where he didn't belong and ripping me and my family apart...all because I asked my sister to stop giving unwarranted advice...

To add to the emotional rollercoaster I've been on w/ missing my friends and family, I've also been obsessing about the last baby appointment we had. I found out that baby Pierce was laying transverse (side to side) instead of head down, bottom up. At the appointment previous to that, baby was laying head down, bottom up, so I was really surprised. The doctor asked if I've still be feeling big movements, and I said that I have, and so she told me that baby was probably just moving around a lot that day and was laying transverse at the appointment. I guess the baby has until 37 weeks (so, 2 more weeks) to get into prime position, but it still makes me really nervous. She said that if at my next appointment, which is 1 week away, baby is still transverse, they will do an external version at my 37 week appointment. I looked it up online and external version only has a success rate of 50 - 60%. She also said (which I know she probably had to say) that if baby is still transverse after that, they'd probably have to schedule a c-section, which I was clearly not happy about. I did some research online and talked to the instructor of our labor classes, and I found out that some babies who are in a non-head-down position will turn into a head down position during labor - it just takes a lot of work for mom to try and make that happen. Lots of walking around, doing different positions/squats/stretches, etc. So, if it gets to 37/38 weeks and baby is still transverse, I am going to tell my Dr. that I'd like to attempt vaginal delivery before even considering c-section. Many of the people I've been talking to say that there is still "plenty" of time for baby Pierce to rotate to the head-down position, but I can't help but obsess about it...so, I've started a daily "get your head down" routine which I started on Tuesday. 2 - 3 times per day, I tape a headphone to the bottom of my belly and play light, relaxing music for up to an hour. This sounds crazy, but it actually works! I will notice that after about 5 minutes, I can feel baby's bottom at the top of my belly. Most of the time, baby stays that way after I turn off the music, but he/she occasionally turns a little sideways later in the day. I also have Aaron shine a flashlight at the bottom of my belly every night...and any time he wants to talk to the baby, he has to talk at the bottom of my belly. I also purchased a big birthing ball from target and sit on that a couple hours a day. I'm going to continue this routine until our next appointment and see where baby is at. I will seriously be soooooooooooooooooo releived and excited when I hear that baby is head down and that I'll be able to do a vaginal birth!!!! So - everyone, do a "head down" chant for baby Pierce any chance you get!!!!

Okay, this is clearly a long enough post - maybe long enough to last me for another 2 months? ;)

3 comments:

  1. HEAD DOWN, baby Pierce!! Your mama doesn't want to have to do all those squats and extra work if she doesn't have to! (How's that? I'll repeat many times)

    Suz, it sounds like you are on top of things! You do what you can, right? I think it's so cool that baby repositions to hear the music - and he/she can see the flashlight? Boy, I'm learning a lot. :)

    I'm looking forward to meeting your babe and seeing you and Aaron as the adorable loving parents you are going to be.

    Oh, and ditto the importance of friends part - it's tough when people live far away, but it only makes the times you see each other that much more special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a rockstar. I am so impressed by all the research you've done about getting that little sideways babe of yours head down. And my childbirth instructors also told us that it's very possible for the baby to move when you're in labor, so good for you for being so proactive and deciding that you want to give it the old college try, no matter what! (FYI I think there are some exercises and info in that Bradley book I gave you about labor positions that help with that stuff.)

    Anyway, you kick ass, and you can totally do it. I will definitely join in on the chanting... Head Down baby Pierce!!

    I can't wait to see the nursery pics when it's all pulled together. Such an exciting time for you two. I can't wait to meet your little guy/gal, that baby is going to change your life so much... we're all so lucky to be around to witness you being a fantastic mom!

    Say hi to the baby daddy for me! He must just be so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you aren't just willing to schedule a c-section if that cute baby of yours isn't quite head down when you go into labor. I liked my c-section, but I hate that I missed out on the birthing experience. Isla was breach for a while and flipped in time. I'm sending good "head down" thoughts your way! Enjoy your last month of pregnancy!!

    ReplyDelete